FAQs about Australia


Q: Will I get a dedicated counsellor for the entire application and visa process?
A: Yes. Once you sign up with Focus Education, you will be assigned a dedicated counsellor who will guide you through the entire process.

Q: Does Focus Education have any special relationship with Australian institutions?
A: Yes. Focus Education has relationships with a number of Australian institutions, giving you the benefit of improved turnaround times for application processing and assessment.

Q: Can I apply for an IELTS test through Focus Education?
A: Yes. Focus Education facilitates IELTS test applications. Please visit our office.

Q: How will Focus Education help me?
A: Focus Education has been sending students to Australia and other countries for the last 5 years. Focus Education has trained counselors who have got experience and expertise to assist students. We provide you with:

  • Professional counseling and information on various courses and institutions
  • Application Forms – Brochures – Guides etc.
  • Admission Assistance
  • Visa Counseling
  • Travel and accommodation arrangement
  • Procuring Residential Facilities 
  • Student Loan


Q: What type of student accommodation is available?
A: Home stay is a good option for those who want to be totally submerged in the Australian culture as it will involve living with an Australian family either with your own private room, or shared. Generally meals are included with home stays. On-campus housing can sometimes be hard to secure as spaces are limited. Fees will vary depending on which school you attend, and most provide meals and some furniture. Housing located off-campus can be extremely fun, but also have many pitfalls. Generally, you would probably group together with a group of students to either rent a house or flat with fees varying depending on your location and size of dwelling. Some points to be aware of:

To locate off-campus you may need to use the services of an estate agent which will incur fees.

•You will be tied to a 12 month contract, so you will have to pay the full 12 months.

•Other services such as gas, electricity, phone, etc. will be extra.

•You may have to pay a security deposit up front in order to cover any damage that may occur during the year; this will be refunded if there is no damage.


Q: Is it possible to obtain a credit for previous study?
A: Students who have completed previous tertiary study may apply to the University for a Credit. They must present the course syllabus of their previous study and complete a separate credit application form. The credit assessment will generally take longer than the application assessment.

Q: What entry requirements do I need to satisfy before I can study in Australia?
A: These vary between study programs and levels. Focus Education will help you identify and satisfy the entry requirements of your chosen course. For each course you will need to meet a minimum English language requirement.

Q: What application closing dates do I need to be aware of?
A: The Australian academic year begins in either February or July. However, some courses are available throughout the year and some are only available for certain semesters.

Students are encouraged to apply at least three to four months in advance to provide sufficient time to process the student visa. More importantly, some universities set a quota for certain courses, and early application is advised to prevent disappointment.

Q: What happens if my application to study in Australia is unsuccessful?
A: Unsuccessful applications are often due to entry requirements not being met. Focus Education will help you meet these requirements and advise you on other available study options in your chosen field.

Q: Are Australian qualifications recognised overseas?
A: Australian qualifications are highly respected internationally and are distinguished by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF is the system of learning that is recognised by many overseas countries.

Focus Education represents only top quality nationally accredited institutions. So you can be sure your qualifications will be highly regarded wherever you choose to establish your career.

Q: Where can I get information on courses available to study in Australia?
A: Focus Education can provide you with valuable course information tailored to your interests.

Q: Which university will I study at?
A: Focus Education works with universities and education institutions throughout Australia. Your university will depend on your choice of study program and eligibility. Focus Education will help you choose the right institution for you.

Q: Are Credit transfers possible?
A: As the Australian Government recognizes Nepalese Universities, credit transfers are possible. However for this the students are required to submit their course syllabus to the institution and it can take minimum of 6 months for credits to be granted.

Q: Are Australian Degrees recognized worldwide? Why is GMAT and GRE not asked for by all Australian Universities?
A: Australian Universities are recognized worldwide. The reason why Australian Universities do not insist upon students going for a GMAT or GRE etc. is because these exams are for American Universities so students have to give these tests to be judged by American Standards. Australia and Nepal recognize each other’s degrees, however it may be asked by some Universities to assess the overall ability of the student.

Q: My education has been in English. Do I still need to sit for IELTS?
A: IELTS is a mandatory visa requirement.


Q: What is the weather like in Australia?
A: Australia is diverse in its geography and climate. The country is located in the southern hemisphere. This means Australia’s summer starts in December and winter begins in June. Nearly a third of Australia is in the tropics where the average temperatures are in the mid 20 degrees Celsius. The southern areas are in a temperate zone.


Q: Are student loans available to international students who study in Australia?
A: No

Q: Are scholarships available to international students who study in Australia?
A: Yes. Most scholarships however, are offered for postgraduate study in universities. The majorities of international students in Australia are full-fee paying students and are not awarded scholarships.


Q: How do I know if I am eligible for the Permanent Residency (PR)?
A: Currently a student needs to cover up to 120 points to become eligible for the PR. The points can be obtained by a combination of the following course, age, English language proficiency, duration of the study in Australia, studying in a regional area, working part time. For further details and to test your points, visit the following website: www.immi.gov.au

Q: I would like to study on a course that can get me permanent residency (PR) visa. What suggestions do you have?
A: The Australian immigration policy is reviewed annually and no guarantee is given that the courses listed on the current Skilled Occupations List (SOL) will prevail at the time of your PR lodgement. You are strongly encouraged to study the course in which you are interested or that can improve your knowledge and skills for your future career.


Q: Will Focus Education help me with pre-departure formalities?
A: Yes. Focus Education will organise a pre-departure orientation program which will help you in your transition to life as a student in the Australia. The program will address topics ranging from cross-cultural issues to ticketing, medical insurance, foreign exchange rates, documents you should take with your while traveling to the Australia arriving to college or university, orientation at college or university, insurance policy, airport pick-up and accommodation booking, etc.


Q: How much does it cost to study in Australia?
A: Costs are divided into two sections as
i) Tuition Costs and
ii) Living Costs.

Tuition Costs:

Tuition fees will vary depending on the course and college/university at which you study.
The list below gives you an indication of the range of course costs for different types of qualifications. All costs are per year in Australian dollars.

English language studies - Around $300 per week depending on course length
Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) - $4,000 to $22,000
Undergraduate Bachelor Degree - $15,000 to $33,000*
Postgraduate Masters Degree - $20,000 to $37,000*
Doctoral Degree - $14,000 to $37,000*

Living costs:

Living costs are divided into two sections as i) Accommodation and ii) Other Living Expenses. All costs are per year in Australian dollars.

Hostels and Guesthouses - $80 to $135 per week
Shared Rental - $70 to $250 per week
On campus - $80 to $250 per week
Homestay - $110 to $270 per week
Rental - $100 to $400 per week
Boarding schools - $10,000 to $20,000 a year

Other Living Expenses

Groceries and eating out - $80 to $200 per week
Gas, electricity - $60 to $100 per week
Phone and Internet - $20 to $50 per week
Public transport - $10 to $50 per week
Car (after purchase) - $150 to $250 per week
Entertainment - $50 to $100 per week


Q: How long does Visa application procedure require?
A: The average time taken by the Australian High Commission for the visa procedure is anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks depending on the individuals background, so the students need to apply for their visas at least 3 months prior to their course commencement.

Q: Do I need a student visa to study in Australia?
A: Yes. Focus Education has been handling student visas for years. We can guide you through this process to ensure your documentation is complete and correct so your student visa is granted quickly.

Q: Do I have to complete my studies within a certain timeframe?
A: Yes. Your student visa specifies an expected duration in which you will study in Australia. You must complete your studies within this duration.

Q: What if I am to extend or renew my student visa?
A: Please consult with the adviser at the institution you are enrolled.

Q: What if I finish my studies early?
A: You must leave Australia within 28 working days. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia you must gain approval from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

Q: What if I am to change my program of study after I have arrived in Australia?
A: Yes. You will need to get necessary permission from your university. If you change qualifications you may also need to submit a new student visa application.


Q: Can international students and his/her dependents work while completing their studies?
A: If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you and your dependent family members will already have permission to work included with your visa.

You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

Main Applicant (Student)

If you are a subclass 574 (Postgraduate research sector) student visa holder and you have commenced your masters by research or doctoral degree in Australia, there is no limit on the number of hours you may work.
You can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during any preliminary courses you undertake on a subclass 574 (Postgraduate research sector) student visa.

Dependent Family Members

must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced the course in Australia
can work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times unless the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctoral degree and holds a subclass 573 (Higher education sector), 574 (Postgraduate research sector) or 576 (AusAID/Defence sector) student visa. In this case there is no limit on the number of hours a dependent family member may work

Q: What salary can I expect when I start working in Australia?
A: The average starting salary that you can earn is between a$ 2500 to a$ 4000 per month.

Q: Do I need a tax file number if I study in Australia?
A: Focus Education recommends that you get an Australian tax file number (TFN). You will need this for banking and tax purposes if you work during study. Every Australian Post Office will have an application form available. Or you can apply online.

Q: Can I find a Job placement after my course completion?
A: With effect from 1st September, 2007 all students who have completed 2 years of study in Australia can get a Skilled Graduate Visa, whereby they can work for up to 18 months.

Australia Student Visa

Request Counseling for the Australia

Application Form