FAQs about UK


Q: Will I get a dedicated counselor for the entire application and visa process?
A: Yes. Once you sign up with Focus Education, you will be assigned a dedicated counselor who will guide you through the entire process.

Q: Does Focus Education have any special relationship with UK institutions?
A: Yes. Focus Education has relationships with a number of UK institutions, giving you the benefit of improved turnaround times for application processing and assessment.

Q: Can I apply for an IELTS test through Focus Education? 
A: Yes. Focus Education facilitates IELTS test applications. Please visit our office.

Q: How will Focus Education help me?
A: Focus Education has been sending students to UK and other countries for the last 5 years. Focus Education has trained counselors who have got experience and expertise to assist students. We provide you with:

  • Professional counseling and information on various courses and institutions
  • Application Forms – Brochures – Guides etc.
  • Admission Assistance
  • Visa Counseling
  • Travel and accommodation arrangement
  • Procuring Residential Facilities 
  • Student Loan


Q: Is student accommodation is available in UK?
A: Yes, there are different student accommodations available in Uk and it varies from university you choose to apply.


Q: Is it possible to obtain a credit for previous study?
A: Students who have completed previous tertiary study may apply to the University for a Credit. They must present the course syllabus of their previous study and complete a separate credit application form. The credit assessment will generally take longer than the application assessment.

Q: What entry requirements do I need to satisfy before I can study in UK?
A: These vary between study programs and levels. Focus Education will help you identify and satisfy the entry requirements of your chosen course. For each course you will need to meet a minimum English language requirement.

Q: What happens if my application to study in UK is unsuccessful?
A: Unsuccessful applications are often due to entry requirements not being met. Focus Education will help you meet these requirements and advise you on other available study options in your chosen field.

Q: Are UK qualifications recognized overseas?
A: UK qualifications are highly respected internationally. Focus Education represents only top quality nationally accredited institutions. So you can be sure your qualifications will be highly regarded wherever you choose to establish your career.

Q: Where can I get information on courses available to study in UK?
A: Focus Education can provide you with valuable course information tailored to your interests.

Q: Which university will I study at?
A: Focus Education works with universities and education institutions throughout UK. Your university will depend on your choice of study program and eligibility. Focus Education will help you choose the right institution for you.

Q: Are Credit transfers possible?
A: As the UK Government recognizes Nepalese Universities, credit transfers are possible. However for this the students are required to submit their course syllabus to the institution and it can take minimum of 6 months for credits to be granted.

Q: My education has been in English. Do I still need to sit for IELTS?
A: IELTS is a mandatory visa requirement.


Q: What is the weather like in UK?
A: The UK has a benign humid-temperate climate moderated by the North Atlantic current and the country’s proximity to the sea. Warm, damp summers and mild winters provide temperatures pleasant enough to engage in outdoor activities all year round. Having said that, the weather in the UK can be changeable and conditions are often windy and wet. British rain is world renowned, but in practice it rarely rains more than two or three hours at a time and often parts of the country stay dry for many weeks at a time, especially in the East. More common are overcast or partly cloudy skies. It is a good idea to be prepared for a change of weather when going out; a jumper and a raincoat usually suffice when it is not winter. In summer temperatures can reach 30ºC (86ºF) in parts and in winter temperatures may be mild, eg: 10ºC (50ºF) in southern Britain and -2ºC (28.4ºF) in Scotland. Because the UK stretches almost 800 miles from end to end, temperatures can vary quite considerably between north and south. Differences in rainfall are also pronounced between the drier east and wetter west. Scotland and north-western England (particularly the Lake District) are often rainy and cold. Alpine conditions with heavy snowfall are common in the mountains of northern Scotland during the winter. The north-east and Midlands are also cool, though with less rainfall. The south-east and east Anglia are generally warm and dry, and the south-west warm but often wet. Wales and Northern Ireland tend to experience cool to mild temperatures and moderate rainfall, while the hills of Wales occasionally experience heavy snowfall. Even though the highest land in the UK rarely reaches more than 1,100m, the effect of height on rainfall and temperature is great. 


Q: What is the currency of UK?
A: The currency of UK is pound stirling.


Q: Are scholarships available to international students who study in UK?
A: British universities and colleges are rarely able to offer scholarships for undergraduate studies, although some are available for exceptional students, especially for postgraduate courses in particular fields or for research.

Q: Can I maintain my fund through bank loan or not if yes what about amount and about loan sanction? Loans disburse?
A: To be able to apply for a Student visa you must provide a bank statement showing that you have the required funds in your account and that they have been there for at least 28 days before the time of your application. The required amount of sufficient funds is £600 / £800 per month for the first 9 months depending whether you will be staying out of London or in London. Apart of this you must have also either paid your tuition fee or you must have enough money to pay it on the top of the living expenses.

Q: What sources of funding for postgrad courses are available in the UK?
A:While some of the standard sources of postgraduate funding are restricted to UK or EU nationals, there is a range of options meant specifically for international students. The first place to look for these is the British Council – visit them if they have a branch where you live, or look up their website. Some scholarship schemes include: The Overseas Research Students (ORS) Awards Scheme (only for research degrees at certain universities; pays the difference between ‘home’ and ‘overseas’ fee, so that you only have to pay as much as a home student) www.orsas.ac.uk/

The British Chevening Scholarships (for overseas students whose study will enable them to participate in development work in their home country). www.chevening.org/

The Shell Centenary Chevening Scholarships (offered at certain universities; not all nationalities are eligible)

The Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships Plan (for students from certain commonwealth countries; you will need to apply well in advance of the start date of your programme) www.csfp-online.org/index.html

Scottish International Scholarships (for study in Scotland; open to students from India and China) www.scotlandscholarship.com/

DFID Shared Scholarship Scheme (for students from developing countries of the Commonwealth whose area of study will be relevant to development work in their home country) www.cscuk.dfid.gov.uk

Q: Can I get funding from the university offering the postgrad degree?
A: Being offered funding in the form of a teaching or research assistantship from your university is very unlikely, especially in the case of a taught postgraduate course. At the PhD level, however, university departments may offer fully funded studentships. You should find out if externally funded scholarships are offered in partnership with the university you are applying to.

Q: What other sources of funding are there?
A: What you are looking for may be closer to home than you imagined – scholarships or funding opportunities from your own country will often be on offer for students going abroad to study. These may be funded by government, private companies or charitable organizations/trusts.

Q: How can I fund my studies if none of the above works out?
A: Not landing a scholarship or funding for your program does not necessarily mean you will have to give up the opportunity to study in the UK. If you think your course is going to be a worthwhile investment in financial terms (i.e. if it will lead to a significant increase in earning potential), you might want to consider paying for it out of your savings or raising an education loan in your home country. Nowadays several banks offer loans to students going abroad to study. Shop around and find one with terms that suit you – look at the interest rate and how long you have to repay the loan.

There’s another possibility to consider: if you are already working and have established your usefulness to your organization, you might be able to get your employer to fund your study. If your employer mentioned this possibility when you were being hired, you are probably in with a good chance.


Q: How do I know if I am eligible for the Permanent Residency (PR)?
A: After you have lived legally in the United Kingdom for a certain length of time (usually between two and five years), you may be able to apply to live here permanently, depending on the category of visa you have. You should see the appropriate category for more information on whether you can apply for permanent residence and the qualifying period for it. See Application types for details of categories that may qualify.

If your visa category is not listed in Application types, you may not be able to apply for permanent residence. If you are here on a working visa, the appropriate section of Working in the UK will tell you if it is possible to apply for permanent residence.

In order to apply for permanent residence, you will normally first need to show that you have enough knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom.

You must not send us your application more than 28 days before the end of your qualifying period. If you do, we may refuse your application with no refund of the fee. However, you must make your application before your current permission to stay in the United Kingdom expires.


Q: Will Focus Education help me with pre-departure formalities?
A: Yes. Focus Education will organize a pre-departure orientation program which will help you in your transition to life as a student in the UK. The program will address topics ranging from cross-cultural issues to ticketing, medical insurance, foreign exchange rates, documents you should take with your while traveling to the UK, arriving to college or university, orientation at college or university, insurance policy, airport pick-up and accommodation booking, etc.


Q: What does postgraduate study in the UK cost?
A: You can divide the cost of your postgraduate education into two broad categories – tuition fees and living costs.

Tuition fees
Unless you are from a nation belonging to the European Union (EU), you will be charged tuition fees for your course at the international rate (for details and exceptions see ‘Do I have to pay fees at the overseas rate?’). The actual figure will vary slightly across universities and courses, but it tends to be in the range of £8,000¬-12,000 for one-year programmes. (There are exceptions: MBAs and some other business courses can cost significantly more – above £30,000 in some cases.) You will find information on fees for each programme on the university’s website. If you are doing your research well in advance of your start date, you should be aware that fees can rise slightly from year to year – the university will usually indicate how much this increase is likely to be if they haven’t yet announced the actual figure for the next year.

Living expenses
Usually the largest components of your living expenses are accommodation and food. However, you must also factor in day-to-day expenses (provisions, household articles, toiletries), study-related expenses that are covered by the tuition fees (books, stationery, a computer if you need one), and entertainment (the occasional movie or weekend travel). Costs can vary considerably depending on which part of the UK you are studying in, but tend to be in the range of £7,000-£10,000 for one year. Estimates of living expenses can usually be found on your university website, but what you actually spend will depend on your particular lifestyle.

Q: Do I have to pay postgraduate fees at the overseas rate?
A: The level of fees you pay will depend mainly on your nationality (or residency status). In general, you will pay the ‘home’ fee if you hold a UK or EU passport. However, there are other categories of students who qualify for the ‘home’ fee. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has comprehensive information sheets describing who is eligible to pay fees at the home rate.

Q: What methods of payment are accepted by a university?
A: This will depend on your university. In general, there is a wide variety of options including payment by cash, cheque, credit/debit card or bank transfer.

Q: Can I pay my further study fees in installments?
A: The year’s tuition fee represents a very large sum of money for international students and it is possible that you will be unable to pay the entire amount at one goes. Many universities will allow self-financing students to pay their tuition fee in installments, though a small charge may be levied if you make use of this option. Whichever option you choose, you will have to demonstrate to the university before you begin your course that you will be able to meet all costs related to your postgraduate study.


Q: Who can bring dependants to the UK?
A: You can bring your husband, wife, unmarried partner, and children (under 18) to the UK with you if you are studying a postgraduate course of 12 months or more. If you are a government-sponsored students and studying a course at any level of 6 months or more, you can also bring your dependants to the UK. You cannot bring other family members such as parents or siblings to the UK with you as your dependants, although they can come for short visits on Visitor visas.

Q: Will my dependents require an English Language test?
A: No, there are currently no English Language requirements for Tier 4 dependents.

Q: Will my dependents be able to work in the UK?
A: Yes, your dependents will be eligible to work full time whilst in the UK providing you hold a Tier 4 student visa and are studying a course at Master’s Level or above for 12 months or more, or are Government sponsored and undertaking a course of 6 months or more at any level. Your family will not be eligible to undertake Doctor or Dentist training.

Q: Will my dependents be able to study in the UK?
A: Yes, there are currently no restrictions on family members of Tier 4 migrants undertaking a course of study in the UK at any level; however, if the course your dependent undertakes is longer than the length of your Tier 4 visa, you dependent will need to either return home and apply for the relevant Entry Clearance to return and complete their studies, or the Tier 4 migrant must be in a position to apply to extend their Tier 4 leave.

Q: Will my children be able to go to school in the UK?
A: Yes, if your children are aged between 4-16 they will normally be allowed to enroll at a State (government funded) school. Private (fee paying) schools may differ slightly.

Q: Can I work on while on the UK student visa?
A: The Tier 4 (Adult) Student visa offers the student the benefit of developing an educational base in the UK while being permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term periods. Tier 4 Student (Adult) visa holders are permitted to work full time during vacation periods without seeking further permission from the UK Border Agency. In some instances, graduate level students may be able to switch into a working visa category that could lead to settlement in the UK.

Q: Is it possible to switch to a UK work permit once in the UK?
A: It is also possible to switch to a UK work permit however it is not easy and depend on you having an employment offer from a UK company.

Q: Can I work while extending my tier 4 adult visa?
A: If your student visa is still valid there should be no problem to work under the visa terms and conditions. If it has already expired and you’re on visitor’s permit you are not allowed to work. Still it will be the best if you check this with the UK Home Office.

Q: Can I work or bring dependents into the UK?
A: You can only work or bring dependents into the UK on an Adult Student Visa. You are eligible on an Adult Student Visa to:

Take part-time or holiday work, but you must not:
1. Work for more than 20 hours a week during term time unless your placement is part of your studies, has been agreed with your educational institution and leads to a degree or qualification awarded by a nationally recognized examining body
2. Do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
3. Work full-time in a permanent job
4.Bring your husband, wife or civil partner and children to the UK with you during your studies, as long as you can support them without needing any help from public funds. Please note: If you are studying at below undergraduate level, you cannot work on a Tier 4 visa or bring family members with you.

UK Student Visa

Request Counseling for the UK

Application Form